Flower And Gardem

Flower And Gardem

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Free Motion Quilting - A ROSE


I love to do free-motion quilting. For me it's the best part of the whole quilt process. I think if I had the space and money for a long-arm -----. Since I don't, I make do with my Bernina 440. This machine has the stitch regulator, which works wonderful giving nice even stitches.

A while ago, I came across an article in The Quilt Life magazine
that had a demo by Judy Woolworth for making free-motion flowers (shown below.) I fell in love. I had to learn how to make these. Judy's were made using a long-arm. I wanted to make a simpler version of them on my home machine.


This is the process I use. Please note that the motifs shown below were drawn free-hand so they are not precise. In reality, when done free-motion on the machine, they are a lot neater. Also, my drawings are not cast in stone. They're to give an idea of what the motif looks like. It also helps to practice drawing the motifs on paper until the movements are very familiar.

The first time, I practiced on a pot-holder size fabric readied for quilting (fabric, batting, and backing pinned together.
I started at one end and stitched a flower shape motif in the center of the space. A nice thing about this practice is that you can make mistakes. A flower is not precise.


The next step builds the inside flower shapes. Just continue stitching around with curving lines going into the center. Once you are at the center, you have to come back out. This is shown below.
Just start retracing your outline about one eighth inch next to the original. Closer is good, but try not to go over the original line. This is what it will look like when you are done. Did you notice the little heart shape. This takes you into the step that comples the flower.
Notice that I enlarged the petal shape on the outside petals. This makes them look more like a flower.

Now that the flower is done, something needs to be added to the rest of the block. I use circles and hearts. They are fast and fun.

Here is a sample of a square that is part of a current project.

Below is a sample of a square that is part of a completed quilt. Not the best photo, but it is one where the quilted flowers were used.
The completed quilt.
















2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I love the look of the rose not looking so perfect. Im going to give it a try very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute.. Thank you for the help.

    ReplyDelete